Understand the Facts about Community Water Fluoridation
There are many things that make a community healthy and a place where children can reach their potential in life. In Durango, community water fluoridation is one of them, because it’s been shown to promote good oral health and, as we know, a healthy smile will take a child far in life. In fact, here in Durango, fluoride is naturally part of our city’s drinking water at more than half of the ideal amount to prevent tooth decay.
Below are several facts about community water fluoridation:
- Here in Durango, tooth decay hits low-income families and children the hardest since they are less likely to have access to regular dental care. With water fluoridation, those families can protect their teeth and their children’s simply by turning on their tap.
- The Healthy Kids, Healthy Durango coalition thanks the city of Durango and the leadership of City Council. These leaders are committed to protecting our community by ensuring that the optimal amount of fluoride is part of our water to provide the greatest health benefit to our residents and visitors.
- Durango residents have benefited from Community Water Fluoridation since 1957 – that’s 60 years!
- Fluoride is a natural mineral; it is nature’s cavity fighter. It is present in all water sources, including Colorado’s mountain streams, lakes and even the ocean.
- Community water fluoridation is the process of adjusting the natural level of fluoride to the level recommended to protect against tooth decay.
- The Healthy Kids, Healthy Durango coalition is not alone in its support of community water fluoridation. Supporters include the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment, the U.S. Surgeon General, the Colorado Dental Association, and the American Dental Association.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) named community water fluoridation one of 10 great health achievements of the 20th Century. According to the CDC, every $1 spent on community water fluoridation saves $43 in dental treatment due to decay or infection.
- Millions of people around the world benefit from fluoridated water. There have been no proven adverse effects, and the best available scientific evidence consistently indicates that community water fluoridation works to prevent decay and is safe.
- Approximately 75 percent of the U.S. population served by public water systems receive the benefit of optimally fluoridated water. Water fluoridation is available in approximately 60 countries, benefiting over 405 MILLION people.
- For more than 70 years, the best available scientific evidence consistently indicates that community water fluoridation is safe and effective.
For more information and to learn more facts about community water fluoridation in Durango, please visit:
- City of Durango’s Community Water Fluoridation page: http://www.durangogov.org/fluoride
- Colorado Fluoride Facts: http://www.cofluoridefacts.org/
- Water Fluoridation for Healthy Communities: http://coloradowaterfluoridation.org
- Campaign for Dental Health: http://ilikemyteeth.org/
Public water fluoridation is an effective and safe public health measure for people of all ages.
Watch Dr. Seymour and ADA address unreliable claims about water fluoridation and debunk the so-called “Harvard Studies.”
The most common disease in children worldwide is dental cavities. Vote NO on 1A to continue the safe supplementation of fluoride in our water, which promotes good oral health and prevents tooth decay.